Monday, February 14, 2011

The Care Package That Saved My Life

A couple weeks ago, Elijah checked his PO Box and there was one item for me- one glorious item that would impact my morale for the next couple weeks and beyond- a care package put together by mom and Tara. It had beef jerky, Reece's Nutrageous bars, fruit leather strips, three boxes of Macaroni and Cheese, gourmet hot chocolate packets, and various hygiene products.

The Nutrageous bars saved me because we have such salty meals. After a meal, it seems like the most delicious thing I've ever put into my mouth, every time.

The hot chocolate is awesome because I put it into coffee and have an awesome mocha. The team buys hot chocolate, but it's plain compared to the flavored Land-O-Lakes packets, and plus our team runs out sometimes. I feel spoiled even talking about good hot chocolate in Africa.

One week ago was the middle of my illness. I had a fever, headache, and stomach problems. Last Monday, the headache and fever finally disappeared after a couple difficult days. The next day they came back a bit, but then they were gone the following day. The stomach problems lingered for a few more days. I haven't weighed this little since high school.

While I was sick, the team went out to do ministry and I stayed at the house. There wasn't any food in our house, and I was hungry. So I made macaroni and cheese, and it was perfect. Most of how the care package saved my life came from that day.

We also seem to go a very long time in between meals, and the jerky and fruit strips are absolutely delicious snacks. This probably helps me out every day.

Also, the beef jerky is meat! Glorious meat! My protein intake isn't near my American diet, but this was still a huge step up.

This was too funny to pass up. The toilet paper I received was also worth a good laugh, because Africa does have toilet paper. Except our team ran out one night, and I had diarrhea, so having that toilet paper there actually did really save my ass. Ha! I love puns.

The whole team has gotten a tiny bit of this enjoyment. It's like I've been tithing it and giving a tiny bit each time I dip into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment