Friday, February 4, 2011

"You Are So Womanly"...

Context: We have a creepy neighbor guy named Eric. He's 20 years old. He speaks great French and some English. Here's a story that Michelle told us, written from her perspective...


“One fine day, I see Eric's head pop over the wall. I'm in the hammock. Next thing you know, you see him walking through the gate, cause whoever went through it last didn't lock it. I'm lying in the hammock, so it's awkward just cause he's standing there talking to me. He's goes inside, but must have not gotten enough attention, so he comes back out.”

He says, “You walk out with me to the gate.”

“Sure.”

“Can you walk out here (outside the gate) with me, no problem.”

“I stay here, no problem.”

“Please, come outside with me, no problem.”

[She gives in and steps outside with him, and he begins...]

“I wanted to tell you this last week. You're white and I'm black. You're rich and I'm not. But I love you...
I see you there, and then my heart feels so full. You are so womanly. Do you understand?”

“Yeah... we can be friends.”

“Friends?! I am not child. I do not want friends. I want to marry you!...
I see that you have a good heart. I'm not rich but I'm going to the university. I prayed about it. And it would be good. You're a Christian, and I am a Christian.”

“I'm sorry, but I have a boyfriend in America.”

“A boyfriend?” (He face falls, and he starts stumbling around.) But he says, “We can still be friends. It's OK?

“Sure.” (And at this point, I'm thinking I should probably give him a hug. I meant to give him a hips-out, chest out hug. But he gives really excited and pulls me in for a really tight hug. And then we start swaying and he says...)

“Oh Michelle! Oh Michelle!”

So I push him off of me and run inside.

(When we saw her face, we all sat down on the kitchen floor cause we knew a good story was coming, and I transcribed it.)

1 comment: