Friday, February 4, 2011

Dawn and Pieter's Pastoral Visit

Dawn and Pieter are our school leaders. Our school split up into six outreach teams around the world, and Dawn and Pieter visit every one of them. They arrived in Rwanda last Sunday night, and they left on Tuesday night.

They like me, and they were happy to hear about everything I've gotten to do in Rwanda and about my role in the team, but they also had a couple rebukes.

Dawn said I need to be doing a lot more to carry Mikaela. I thought that was out of line because I'm really nice to Mikaela. Mikaela had been having a hard time, but there really isn't a whole lot I can about that.

Dawn also said I should be rebuking people for complaining. I think that'd be hilarious because of the nature of the complaints in question.
“I feel like I'm just getting rebuked all the time.”
“You shouldn't say that.”
“But nobody listens to me.”
“Quiet, you!”
I refuse to take sides about other people's grievances. I simply nod and sympathetically say I'm sorry.

Dawn also said she gets the feeling that I would do a lot of things differently than Mikaela. So I said, “Well, when Mikaela spent a week crying in her room because she felt rejected, I would have done things differently.” Dawn said she didn't know that had happened and agreed that that was a fault, but she said the “spirit of disagreement still creeps out” even if I don't say anything about it. I disagree, because I think it's important to have at least some freedom of thought, and I think that it's a very important skill to be able to disagree respectfully. YWAM isn't supposed to be a cult.

Another funny part about the one-on-one was that Dawn said, “You can have a terrible outreach leader and still have a great outreach; not that Mikaela is a terrible leader (then why did you say that?). Maybe it would be easier to have an older, more mature leader, but this is the leader that God chose for you.” WOAH! This is the leader that YOU chose, Dawn. I hate it when she uses “Dawn” and “God” interchangeably. I know a lot of prayer went into it, but the problem with an organization as charismatic as YWAM is that their decisions are often “God's decisions”.

When Dawn was encouraging, it was nice, and when she said something I disagreed with, I mostly nodded and held my peace.

Everything Pieter says is always extremely reasonable. He doesn't say much, but the quality of his words is extremely high.

Both Dawn and Pieter are very strong in the grace of God, and they are very powerful agents of healing. But at the same time, Dawn is a bit crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment